Saturday, May 22, 2010

Amazement and Loss

     This country will never cease to amaze me. There are times I just stare and feel way out my league. Today (May 18th, 2010) I went on a Truancy campaign with the School’s Welfare Officers (3 of them for the region), a nurse, a police officer, and our driver. Basically, we drove all around Linden looking for youths who should be in school. We’d pull over, then basically put them in the car to either a) go to the their houses to talk to the parents about the value of education, or b) take them back to the office and make their guardian come get them (usually in the case of parent who is not in Linden). It was an experience to say the least and I hope some the kids know that we’re just trying to help, rather than get them in trouble.

      Moreover, as we were driving around I saw a whole new side of the city. Before, I’d seen the poverty stricken streets and dilapidated houses of the less fortunate sections, but today I found a peaceful cove next to a creek. It is a mostly an Amer-Indian area with thatch roof houses and no current (electricity), even though it is fairly close to the highway. There were kids, no older than 6 or 7, who were paddling boats against a harsh creek current, while an older man sat upon a tiny dock and threw his fishing line into the depths (catching several fish I might add). I saw an old grandmother come to the opposite shore. She readied her boat and paddled across. When asked how old she was she replied, “90”, then continued to walk through sun baked streets beyond the shady creek bed. I could only smile and shake my head in disbelief. I hope I can be as vigorous when I’m 90.

     As we continued on in the department van (which they call a bus), we stopped near a young child walking down a nearly deserted side street (school was out at this point). “How far you gah, bai?” asked one of the welfare officers. “To the ward, Miss”, we looked on in disbelief since the Ward (Amelia’s Ward) was a good 3 miles away. We invited him into the car and asked what grade he was in. “Grade 1, Miss,” he replied. I was taken aback and realized how tough some of these children have it. We dropped the boy the off and continued on our rounds.

         There were other stories of note these last few weeks, one being a gigantic, fist-sized spider in my office here’s the picture. I was quite frightened even after we found out (thanks Alfred) that it was harmless.



We also have a lizard living in our bathroom (but I just saw him on the wall our bedroom, he’s moving on up) named Rhondella. It’s a little creepy, but we think he eats the mosquitoes so he can stay as long as he does his job.

Moreover, it was Sara’s birthday on Wednesday the 19th! We took her out to eat and for a few drink than came home, drank a little local wine and watched some Dexter. It was a pretty good night! Hope she had a good one! Happy Birthday!










On a not so light note, this was a tough week for other volunteers. We lost 4 volunteers in 4 days, 2 of which were a married couple. It was shocking because 3 of them were some that we pegged as “lifers” and that nothing would bring them down and out of the bush. Their loss is already felt but we know our friendships will carry on.   However, we were disturbed at these revelations because it brought to the fore some our own hesitancies and insecurities. We questioned our own motives for being here, and did our own cost/benefit analysis. But after much internal and external dialogue we realized that that couple isn’t us. Everyone has their own set of priorities and goals, and ours is to stay right here even if it is tough some times. But I wanted to write a little poem for our lost brethren and when I do I will put it up. Until then, Guy 22 mourns their loss and misses them all.

Here are some photos of 3 of the 4:


































 Anyway, I’ve spoken enough. But one last note is that we now have Internet at our house! It is all very exciting. So my garrulous bum won’t write such wordy entries anymore. We’ll try to keep the updates short and sweet and up to date. We also have Skype so if you want to talk send us your Skype name via e-mail and we can send you ours! So until next time!
T & C

PS: Chelsea and I have attained leadership positions in our group. I am the VAC (Volunteer Advisory Council) Rep which means I am a liaison between Peace Corps Staff and my fellow volunteers. We meet every 3 months and discuss with Admin concerns raised by our colleagues.

Chelsea is peer support which means, in strict confidence, PCVs can come and talk to her if they’re having a tough time, while she can be a counseling and consoling ear for them. So it’s pretty neat. We will know more once we start meeting! Alright till later!

No comments:

Post a Comment