Monday, June 13, 2011

Forward-Thinking Mondays

Since I work on Saturdays, I take Mondays off to take care of things around the house and in my personal life. I work out in the morning with Sara and have breakfasted and gotten my java kick by 8am and then it is chore time. Today, I did the dishes and a load of laundry by hand (day dreaming all the while of the day when I will have a washer and dryer) and cleaned my mud-caked running shoes. I was planning on checking my emails but the power went out, so I swept and tidied.


When the power comes back on I am going to dive deeper into the law school application process. I have already done a ton of research and now basically just need to start the work. I need to update my resume with my PC experience, write my personal statement, ask for letters of rec and send out all that paperwork and request my transcripts. I don't think it is too early to start all this, since applications open in September. That gives me two and a half months to get this done. And, I am on Guyana time, where everything goes a little slower and I can never predict these power outtages. So yeah, work to do.


For those of you who gave me advice in response to this blog, thank you. As you can tell, I have decided to at least apply to law schools (Berkeley, Davis, Stanford, UCLA, Hastings and Santa Clara) and see what happens. I guess I realized that the fear of debt was the only thing that was making me hesitate. If money was not an issue I would have no qualms about going to law school and becoming a lawyer. It really is what I want to do, so I figure I should apply and see. Who knows, maybe some school will want to offer me scholarship money and we won't have to go as much into debt as I expect.


On Mondays, I also tend to devote an hour or two of my time to looking into life-after-Peace Corps plans. It is an activity that I justify as being useful, but really it is more about giving me a certain peace of mind where I can daydream myself away. Recently, I have been planning our South America backpacking route. We are hoping to head from Guyana to Peru (by plane), explore Peru, including Macchu Pichu, pop into Bolivia around Lake Titicaca and La Paz, bus it down the coast of Chile and through Santiago, then into Argentina, through Argentinian wine country and then back to the States. We will be back in the States around mid-May 2012. We should know by then where we will be relocating, (wherever I get into law school) and we can start looking for a place to live and jobs to get us by until we both start school in the fall (me as a student and Tim teaching). It is all so exciting to think about, and I am so glad that we have ten months to figure it all out.


The other day, Sara and I were walking and she told me about a dream she had in which she was told we were being evacuated from Guyana and sent home. I thought that was a terrifying concept. As much as I miss home, family, friends and luxuries like hot water, I am so NOT ready to leave Guyana. I am not ready to start thinking about loan/car/bill payments. I am not ready for traffic. I am not ready for that hectic pace of life. In Peace Corps you trade those stresses for new ones; mosquito bites, feeling the strangeness of being one of two white women in city of 60,000, extreme heat and humidity, cooking with no fridge or oven, etc. We have learned to cope with the present challenges, and I don't know if I am ready to trade them back in for the stresses of life in a developed country yet.


So, for the next ten months I will stay happily under my mosquito net and only devote time to planning for the future on my stay-at-home-Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment