Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 20: Isla Del Sol


One of the beaches on Isla Del Sol
This morning Chelsea woke up feeling better, so we boarded our morning boat to the largest Island in Lago Titikaka, the Isla del Sol or the Island of the Sun. The Incans believed that the Sun and the Moon were created on this Island, from the sacred rock. Moreover, they believe their founding father, Manco Capac, also emerged from this island. It is a very sacred place to the Andean people. And after visiting it, I understand why.

We didn’t have much time only about 2 hours since we needed to catch a boat back to Copa to get a bus to La Paz (where we are now), but we tried to make the most of it. We disembarked on the north side of the island where most of the ruins and sacred places are. The ruins were about a 40 minute walk away, but as we began the hike Chelsea still felt a little weak so she asked me to continue on, while she took a nap on the beach.   I heeded her advice and saw some of the most stunning scenery.

The first thing that struck me as I ascended towards the archeological site was how blue the water was. It was a Caribbean blue, blue like sapphires, blue like the deepest blue one could imagine. But it was also crystal clear.  The landscape looked harsh, but fertile. Pre-Incan terraces lined the nearby hills. Corn, coca, and grains decorated the fields; some near houses, while some sat off in the distance. I climbed higher, and then down towards the ruins. I passed the sacred rock, that some tourists were touching, and the sacrificial table that sat alone in a clearing. I wandered through the temple ruins running my hands over the ancient stones lost in wonder at how it looked before the Spanish came. If only stones could talk, right? I climbed a nearby hill for some more awe-inspiring panoramas, and then began to walk back. I made it back to beach where Chels was sitting scanning the lake, and then we caught the boat back.

It was a quick excursion but completely worth it. The memories and adventures are some that I will never forget.    

The water is so blue, yet so clear. Check out the terraces in the background


Some of the fertile fields on the Island

Such amazing scenery. Fields and fishing go hand in hand.

It looks so desolate, but yet it is so full of life. Those are the temple ruins in the foreground

Some more beautiful scenery.

Tourists touch the sacred rock. This is where they believe the Sun and Moon were born


The sacrificial table sits alone before the ruins
The ruins of the temple and another beach.


The water is so blue, so inspiring. This is from the mirador on the hill before I turned back


Our last afternoon in Copa, form our Hotel before we caught the bus

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tim and Chelsea,

    Sounds like your trip is just absolutely amazing. We are also planning on doing a SA trek once are done, about 10 weeks to Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru...so its been really nice to read your blog and see how logistically you guys are doing everything and what you are seeing and experiencing. Helps with our planning. I just wanted to say hi and to keep the updates coming. Great to read. Also, any info you wish you have known prior to your trip that you would share with us would be great. We would love to hear your tips and tricks. Have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, good work. It Couldn’t be wrote any better. Reading this post reminds me of my recent employer! He constantly kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a delightful read. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, good work. It Couldn’t be wrote any better. Reading this post reminds me of my recent employer! He constantly kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a delightful read. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete