Monday, July 11, 2011

Law School Applications, GACK!

I have officially started the law school application process. UGH! GACK! And other expletives!

Most law schools don't actually let you start working on the applications until the admission period opens in September or October. But, there is plenty to do in preparation before fall. First I had to request that my transcripts be sent from any and all universities I attended. For me thats two, UCSD and Cabrillo, even though I only took two classes at Cabrillo when I was in high school. Okay, so thats done. Check. Then I had to pester the two amazing individuals who magnanimously agreed to write my letters of recommendation. Now, courtesy demands that I send them a self addressed and stamped envelope to mail out my letters. But, oh shucks, I am in Guyana. I don't have any US stamps and even if I did the letter may or may not reach them in any sort of a timely fashion , if at ever. So, I have to get my mom (THANKS MOM!) to print the required forms from the LSAC website and mail them to my recommenders for me. That should be done next week. Yippee.

The other, most loathful, thing I am currently working on is my personal statement. That has to be the most challenging thing in the world to write. Trying to write a persuasive essay on who I am, and showing evidence as to what makes me unique, and why I sould be accepted into law school all in 2-4 pages, double spaced, is torture. I have a shoddy first draft and am going to mangle it up a few more times before I barrage all my friends and family, begging for constructive criticism (another thing I loathe, but I know is good for me). Ugh. Gerr.

I know it will all be worth it in November, when my applications are sent in, well ahead of the February deadline. Then I just get to sit on my hands and freak out for a few months while I wait to hear back from schools, oh and I'll need to start the FAFSA applications for financial aid, oh and apply for scholarships, oh and, oh and....Okay, so maybe I still have a loooong way to go, but at least I am getting started. Sigh. I guess it will really all be worth it in April, when Tim and I embark on our month long trip in South America and we know what school I got into and where we will be living. Only 8 1/2 months....

No comments:

Post a Comment