Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eye issues and Some Projects





Recently, I've been battling an eye ailment known as “pinguecula.” Well, battling might be too hard a word while “living with” is a better descriptor. Don't worry it's benign. It's some sort of growth on the eye that comes from too much exposure to ultraviolet light. There is not much that I can do. If it gets worse I can get surgery, but if it remains the same it will be alright. The real danger, or so the experts say, is if it gets into my cornea, but that isn't guarenteed. You can read more about it here 

In other news, these last few weeks have been full of stuff. I'm trying to keep busy to stave off the impending “senioritis” and complacency. I finished teaching my IT class at the Teacher's College (CPCE) last week. All the students passed (HSHMC stylee). It was fun to have a steady classroom again and it made me remember why I began teaching in the first place. It was a tough few weeks, though, we were going 430-630 everyday in addition to all my duties at the Education Department. Sleep was a welcome relief when it finally arrived. All-in-all they all worked hard and, I hope, learned something.


At the end of last week I went to Town with my counterpart and we assisted in a booth put on by the Ministry of Education. It was fun working with the primary children who came by our booth all day long. We played some literacy games, read some books, and put on some dramatic performances. Coming up, tomorrow actually, we are organizing our own literacy tent where we will have local schools (nursery and primary; Thursday and Monday, respectively) coming in and playing our own games, giving out prizes, and reading stories. Should be fun. Additionally, we are planning an elocution competition (where students will compete in reading poems from Guyanese poets) and a reading competition where they will read short stories and answer questions about it. All in the name of Education Month which has run from September 1 to October 5.


In other news, I am revamping the professional development programme and hope to work with teachers starting next month. We'll see how it goes.

But now Sex in the City calls, with a side of Battlestar Galactica. Oh, home. Oh, Guyana.

No comments:

Post a Comment