Sunday, March 24, 2013

March Marches On



A view of Old Sac and the Capitol Mall Brige

A sigh of relief and a sinking into the couch; the March of the Perpetual Houseguest has come to an end. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining, but I am a tad bit tired. My mom left this afternoon after a wonderful brunch in Old Sac and a really fun weekend.

My mom and her new husband came down Thursday evening. We spent the weekend together playing Yahtzee, cardgames, and having conversations. We visited the Capitol Building and tasted some great wine and Chelsea made a wonderful Guyanese dinner in which we hung out with some  of mom's old friends.

One of the great things about having guests is it forces us to get out of the house and visit the sights that are always here, but we always put off for another time. We have our staples like restaurants we go to, but then there are other food places that we see along the road but say that we will check out later (and when we do, so far, we are super stoked with what we’ve found).  Then, there is the Capitol building that I’ve always admired from a distance, but never entered. That was a trip. There are museum rooms decorated as if from the early 20th century and the rotunda is painted with complex patterns. In addition, Capitol Park is full of wonderful surprises from old statues to exotic trees.      

Mom in the foreground! The Capitol Building

On Saturday, we took my co-workers advice and checked out the Bogle Vineyards which is about 20 minutes away near a small village named Clarksburg. To get there we had to go along the river a ways, and carefully wind our way through narrow country lanes. When we finally arrived it felt like we were a thousand miles away. But the location was beautiful and the wine wasn’t half bad either.

The Bogle Vineyards


It was wonderful to see my mom because she hasn’t really visited Chels and me much since we’ve lived so far away (first San Diego, then Guyana, and now Sacramento) and she is usually so busy most of the time. Moreover, it was great to play host for her for once rather than the other way around.  There is this strange, affirming thing to have my parent come down and be in my space for a while. I was able to show her my classroom, take her to dinner, and engage her on a different level than before. In other words, rather than feeling like we were still on the level of mother and dependent child (even though I haven’t been that for while) I felt like we were engaging as two adults (though, you know she will always be mom!).  It was a fabulous feeling.  

Anyway, it’s spring break for me and I have a few weeks off. I have nothing special planned, just to laze around, work on my novel, finish some BTSA stuff, plan for the next few weeks, read, read, read, and do some things around the house that need fixing (Wow. That doesn’t sound like lazing at all.) I am sure things will come up, but for now I am going to sit back and enjoy the last vestiges of grand weekend.  


All of us at the Winery





No comments:

Post a Comment