Sunday, March 3, 2013

Summer Sorted and March Madness

Exciting things are happening in Casa de Tibbs! Our summer plans are sorted out which is such a great relief and this month we have our house full every weekend with visits from friends and family, which is such a joy!

My summer plans were looking promising anyway, since I had interviewed and been accepted to work (on a volunteer basis) for a nonprofit that advocates for vulnerable populations in rural communities. I was excited for the opportunity because the hands-on legal work of underrepresented farmworkers was right up my alley but I was also a little concerned about how working for free and the long commute would be a serious hardship for Tim and me.

I had also applied to a program funded by the Bar Association that offers paid summer internships to 1L students. The Fellowship program is a great opportunity because it has an educational component where the participants get to know the lay of the land in the local legal community. It is a great networking opportunity and excellent experience. I wasn’t feeling very confident about getting the Fellowship because I was competing in a field with student from my school and Davis. And the competition was stiff. Plus, I did not leave my interview feeling like I had nailed it. So, I was starting to look for grants and scholarships to fund my summer working for the nonprofit.

Then, last week I found out that I was chosen for the Fellowship program! I was placed at a boutique labor and employment law firm. It is going to be such great experience for me to learn how things work in private law firms and the corporate legal world. I know I will learn a ton about many facets of employment law from wrongful termination, sexual harassment and labor law. I am excited about the technical skills I will gain and thrilled to have an established, structured introduction to the legal community in my new town. Plus, I’m gonna be getting paid!

So things are looking up for my summer! Unfortunately, my internship coincides directly with the month of summer vacation that Tim has so we don’t see ourselves being able to do much travel or vacationing together this summer unless it is local and we can go over three day weekends. But we are really looking forward to spending more time acquainting ourselves with the leisure and adventures that this part of California has to offer.

Now that I have my summer planned, I am able to focus more on school and ending my first year strong. Also, this month we are so lucky to have visitors who we adore coming to stay in our home every weekend. This weekend, both my mom and Tim’s friends from high school are visiting. Next weekend, Tim’s cousin will be in town, the following weekend Emily will spend her birthday and St. Patrick’s day celebrating in Sac and the last weekend in March, Tim mom will be here! We are so excited and so lucky to be surrounded by so many amazing people. After spending two years away from our families, we have developed a deeper appreciation for the amazing community that we are a part of.

So, as it starts to warm up in and the blossoms start to flower on the plum tree in the backyard, we give thanks for the blessings that we have; family and friends, a sweet home, great jobs, promising futures, a silly puppy, and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment