Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Holy Rainflies, Batman!


The rain has been falling steady, steady all day long making Chelsea and I feel chilly! Can you believe it! Chilly in Guyana! It's the start of the rainy season someone mentioned to me the other day, I'll believe that when I see it! Anyway, it hasn't rained heavy in a while so these insects called “Rain Flies” come from the woodworks and they swarm! They are fairly harmless, but Chels did mention that if they get in your mosquito net they crawl into your ears. Ewwwwww! They only come once the rain has slowed down or stopped. Now is that time and our house is surrounded by these little creatures. They seem to have this innate sense to find the smallest cracks in your windows and walls then crawl through being basically disgusting, but lemme tell you the spiders are having a field day! The really weird part is they lose their wings then they crawl and then they die. They don't live very long, but it's still a bit creepy. It's a helluva mess to clean up, though.

Anyway. TIG.

It's been a really good day! The day opened with some rain right when I wanted to go to the gym, so I did what any self respecting Guyanese would do: stayed in bed! While Chels and Sara took their typical morning walk I read! I exercised my mind, if you will. I finally finished, after an epic struggle, Victor Hugo's Les Miserable (sp?) 1463 pages and almost a month later mission accomplished! Hurdle cleared!GO!

Now, I am all about the classics, but I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone (the unabridged version). Well, unless they loved 19th century French history and philosophy or if they're mad about reading 15 million allusions to ancient stories in one page! But I am being harsh. The actual narrative about the characters was good, but when he began ranting about Paris's sewers and spent 100 pages on the battle of Waterloo, and 50 pages on Parisian riot that is bit too much for me (morel of the story: France had a bunch of different governments/riots all through the 19th century between monarchy and republic. Done.) 

 However, I would recommend an abridged version that only tells the characters' stories. That part was awesome. Especially if you like Romantic period literature (think Goethe and Mary Shelly).

As the day continued things got even better. I began a new project this week where I am actually going to try and print my teacher manuscript and design a four week professional development program for several Guyanese teachers in Region 10! It will take place over the summer term with me working with small groups of teachers. I'm super excited.

In terms of the project, first, I got the go ahead to design the program from my supervisor (thanks REdO), now all that I need to do is file the paper work and the central Ministry needs to review my booklet (making sure I am not going against any Education Policies and all that). Another piece of good news is my counterpart talked to someone at the central Ministry and a the booklet is packed in an envelope bound for G-town this Friday for the Big Man's approval. Then, I finished the first draft of the initial proposal and passed it on to my counterpart and my supervisor for a review. All-in-all super productive day!

How could I forget! One more thing! I printed out copies of my manuscript and finally got them bound today!!!! They look so good! I am really proud of them; it makes me feel almost like and expert!
Till next time!

I will post some pictures soon. 
T


No comments:

Post a Comment