Sunday, May 15, 2011

What a day can bring

It is funny how life seems to provide you with exactly what you need when you need it.


On Friday I had a terrible day. The maternal/child health clinic was busy and the babies were especially fussy for some reason. I got especially frustrated with some moms whose babies wouldn't settle on the scale and wouldn't help me calm their children as I had to hold them screaming and kicking to get their weight. Then a very young mother (15 years old) came in with a very, very sick baby. The child had a fungal infection covering his entire scalp, thrush on his groin and at 2 months, only weighed 3.3 kg (7.2 lbs, basically in the 0th percentile for weight). A coworker and I took charge of these children and headed over to the hospital to get some help. The infant was admitted, thank God, because I honestly think that the baby was dying. There were many reasons for why the infant was so malnourished but I don't want to get into that here. But I was just so saddened by the whole experience. To see that sort of suffering so up close and personal shook me to the core.


However, with the support of my loving husband and amazing housemate, Sara, I was able to talk through my emotions and cheer up a little. Especially because they reminded me how much my intervention in this case could literally save a life. Yay.


Then the weekend began and things turned around for me. Three volunteers came into Linden to participate in the Hash. For those of you who don't know, a Hash is a run/game/adventure/treasure hunt/obstacle course type thing. It is hard to explain, but basically you run around following clues left on the ground to find a trail that eventually leads to a BBQ and booze. It is often referred to as a drinking club with a running problem (real healthy, yeah I know). Tim and I had run 2 Hashes in San Diego before and enjoyed them but never got really into it. I was excited to learn there is a club in Guyana. So, Tony, Sara, Amy (a new PCV in Linden) and 3 other PCVs joined in with an eclectic group of expats and Guyanese in this wacky game. We made some great new friends, enjoyed a fun trail and good BBQ and afterwards ended up playing pool into the wee hours of the night. Happy times.


There is another Hash next Sunday in G/town and I am definitely planning on going. If we do 10 Hashes in Guyana we get a Hash name (a honor and something that follows you to any Hash you go to around the world). We will see if we achieve that before we go home.


Today we made eggs and banana pancakes and did our laundry and now we are lounging around reading. It is a good Sunday. Tomorrow I plan on checking in with the baby at the hospital. I am going to follow up with them and hopefully ensure that the child stays as healthy as possible. I am feeling optimistic and happy today. Awaiting whatever tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment