Thursday, May 5, 2011

Some Musings


Happy Cinco De Mayo!

I wanted to add my 2-cents to our holiday. These last three weeks were a journey. A journey of friends, family, and food. Moreover, it was a journey of self. In previous posts, Chelsea has talked about the first three journeys with her description of the physical activities we did, the friends that we saw, and about the food we ate ( I will post some of my food pictures just for kicks.) However, each of these journeys are tied to the latter: our self.

This realization came through reflection and through the experiences we had. The first was heading down to San Diego when we visited our old school and old friends. It still felt like we had a place there It was an electrifying and wonderful experience. I wasn't sure if I felt that it would be any different but I did have this sense of unease, which was quickly dispelled the minute we walked into TJ and Groth's apartment. Then, going to Stone brewery and having the whole crew show up made me tear up I was so ecstatic to see everyone. Then, the next morning going to our old school, where some students still remembered us and watching the surprise of teacher's faces when we nonchalantly strolled into their classrooms was priceless. The welcome from everybody involved (including LA, Heather B :) ) was second-to-none. It showed how much our friends enjoy us (and it gave me a nice little self-esteem boost!)

And back in Oxnard to finish the week out, we visited my old high school friend, Llewellyn, and her awesome husband, Tom, who welcomed us with open arms, home-brews, and home cooked pizza. They were stoked to see us too! They also told us that they read our blog constantly, which was this crazy existential moment of realization that people care about what we do. It gave me new hope and it was a great time. Fast-forward to my birthday party. 30. Wow, what an age, but it's mine. 30-year olds say it gets better from here, but I remember hearing that when I was 20 too... But with respect to my over 30 friends I see their point, that the 20s was this strange decade of passage to adulthood, and when one turns 30 the journey is almost over. Not that a 30-year old cannot learn new tricks, for it is never too late to learn; however a 30-year old knows who he is. And for me, I am not feeling too different, maybe I knew myself way better than I thought I did? Anyway, I digress (isn't that a sign of old age? Or maybe it's the head wound :) ), the party was unbelievable. I felt so much love from all my friends and family. And I can't believe that everyone made it out. I had no idea who to expect but I was overwhelmed at who did come (Cameronicus, Grace, Drake/Morse, Flo, Veres, Adam, to name just a few) And even if it did have an unexpected ending...well was it that unexpected? I had a great, great time and I hope everyone else did too.

Northern California was it's own adventure. It was pretty great hanging out with Chelsea's brotha and madre, but the real journey was going to visit possible law schools for Chelsea. I've mentioned before that I'm not a planner but going to Davis, Berkeley, Santa Clara, and San Francisco and spending a little bit of time in each allowed me to become aware of my own emotions and ties to the future. I am really glad I am doing Peace Corps and I wouldn't take it back for a minute, but I am also okay with how our future is going to be. I could live and work in any one of those cities and give the necessary support that Chelsea needs, whatever her path may be. We were also able to spend some time with Cameron and Katt (and Cam's folks) in their San Francisco suburb, which was a tremendous experience. Thanks guys for letting us crash at your place. Likewise, I was able to spend some more time with some of Chel's friends and her cousin from “The City” who are about our age but a little further along (i.e. one baby on the way and one already born) and I could see the possibility for us. Sampa and Oma were also wonderful as they took us through the Olmec's history at the De Young and giving us memories that money can never buy.

And then we come to the last leg of our journey: Portland, Oregon. Coming here we knew that vacation was coming to close, but it was good to finally get to spend time with Douglas, Chels's dad, and Lisa, his fiance. They treated us so well and really made us feel at home. However, when Monday came though I dreaded the long journey, I wanted to come “home” to Guyana and start my routine again. I was tired of being a nomad, I wanted a home base to act from and as of now it's Guyana, but come 11 months, I will be more than ready to find a new place in California.

Though the physical journey may be over there is still much more for the journey of our selves.

Tim

P.S. This blog didn't even get into the societal pressure in the US for materialism or the nutso experience of going to a grocery store/mall the first time. One word: Overwhelming. Perhaps that can be for another day.

TT  

Gin!
Happy Cinco De Mayo!  Margs at JFK




Beer in LA with Heather B

Yeah Glazed sweet Potatoe Fries....insane! 





Gaffin Away

Thai Noodles in Berkeley 

Cameronicus and Katt in Alameada.

Wonderful Easter Breakfast Andy and Tara cooked up for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment