Monday, January 23, 2012

Celebrating Sara

Tim, about to swing into the creek


The awesome peeps who came out to celebrate Sara


This weekend we had a hootenanny to celebrate Sara and say goodbye to her before she leaves Guyana next week. Some amazing Volunteers came to Linden to visit and we “proper enjoyed ourselves” with some of our best Guyanese friends and neighbors. We cooked some amazing food; curry, salad, pasta salad, fruit salad and a pancake feast. On Saturday we walked to the creek near my house and did some swimming and jumping off trees into the cool black water. It was sunny and hot as we walked to the creek but it quickly got cloudy and, as we were swimming, it began to rain. At that moment, looking around at the jungle surrounding us and the huge drops of water splashing in the beautiful creek, being surrounded by fun-loving, like-minded friends, I felt so blessed to be in the Peace Corps and very nostalgic for this experience that is rapidly coming to a close.


After our creek adventure, we relaxed with peppermint hot cocoa (thanks Emily and friends!) and because of the rainy weather, actually felt cool-ish for once in Guyana. Then we met up with our friends at our favorite local restaurant and bar for a goodbye party for Sara. We surprised her with a catered dinner of all her favorite Guyanese food: greens cookup, plantain chips and baked chicken. And of course Banks beer. We danced the night away and laughed until our faces hurt.


Sara got early COS (Close of Service) to go home next weekend since all her projects are finished. I will miss her dearly! Sara has been like the sister I never had during our time in Peace Corps. Even in training we lived close to each other and our host families were related so we shared many laughs during our first 2 months in country as we got accustomed to Guyana in Essequibo. I was so excited when we got assigned to Linden together because I knew Sara would be a good influence on me and help me get back into shape. Almost every morning for the last two years Sara and I have worked out together, walking, running, yoga-ing and trying to get ‘cut like Kate’ (the sexy, fit character from the epic TV show ‘Lost’). We have shared our joys and pain, laughing so hard we cried and cried on each other’s shoulders. We have spent hours watching movies, sharing music, cooking, cleaning, gardening, hiking and adventuring throughout Guyana and Barbados. Together we have swam with sea turtles and watched them lay their eggs, danced to Caribbean music, fended off pushy Guyanese men and watched toucans soar over our own neighborhood in this urban jungle. I have so much respect for Sara and am so grateful she came into my life. She is one of the kindest people I know, and is so reliable and trustworthy. She is so strong to have gone through some of the challenges she has faced in her life and so brave to be facing an exciting, uncertain future. I have no doubt that we will be friends for a very, very long time!


Sara, I will miss you terribly in these last few months but I am SO freakin’ proud of you and so excited to hear of your adventures integrating back into America. I know you will land on your feet back home, because you are a strong, capable and amazing woman. I just have a feeling that so many unbelievable things are in store for you in 2012. I’m so thankful to have shared this journey with you and I can’t wait to continue sharing in your life as we move into the next adventure, starting of course with nachos and margaritas when I join you Stateside!

Lots of love for our friend Sara


Too much fun!


Creek time!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Chels! Thank you for everything...thank you for being my workout buddy. Thank you for always being there for me when I needed support, laughter, advice, and a shoulder to cry on. I will miss you very much but I'm so excited to continue our sisterhood back in America! We have a lot of adventures to look forward to. I don't know how I would have survived Linden without you and Tim. Words don't describe how grateful I am to have you both in my life.

    Thank you for this lovely post, it brought tears to my eyes.

    I love you girl and I'll be seeing you soon!!!
    Margaritas are calling our names :)

    ReplyDelete