Monday, January 30, 2012

Oh Guyana

I would like to share a poem by my amazing friend and inspirational PCV friend, Jillian Johnson. It pretty much sums up how I am feeling as I look ahead to the ever nearing horizon of change. Thank you Jillian for your poetry!


Oh Guyana by Jillian Johnson

Oh Guyana. I hope I loved you enough.

I hope I turned up in the days that the sun was high and warm and worked hard under your heat and sweated enough.

I hope I taught you something.

I know you taught me something. Or two.

I hope the day ended feeling better than it started.

I hope the next day starts better than it ended.

I hope I tried for you enough.

I hope you felt the fast beats of my heart and the tears of my eyes.

I hope you know that I tried my best.

I hope you know that I loved your children like my own.

I hope you know that many of times they were.

I hope you see a difference because of what I did or did not do.

I know that I will be different, because of what I did and did not do.

I hope you show your beauty to others, like you have shown me.

I hope others will see your beauty that is truly here to see.

I hope you know that you brought some of my favorite people of life together: In my heart and in your country.

I hope you feel the feelings I have for you in every breath that I have left to take

I hope you know that at times it felt like it was forever, but that quickly slipped to lost when I was awake.

I hope you know that I woke up with you, dreamt of you, slept with you.

I hope you know that I broke for you, struggled for you, fought for you.

I hope you know that I loved for you, for everything and everyone you generously gave to me.

I hope you know that I cared for you and will continue you to do so daily.

Oh Guyana, I hope I loved you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment