Saturday, January 28, 2012

Seeing Sara Off





The obnoxious alarm went off at 4:30 in the morning. I opened my eyes as Chelsea struggled through the mosquito net to silence the buzzing, ringing bells from her Motorola. As I came to consciousness a thought shot through my head, ‘This could be my last morning in Guyana. I could be getting out of bed and checking my bags for my eminent departure. I could be anxiously and excitedly waiting for my driver to come and carry Chels and me to the international airport then drop us at the passenger loading corner. Before we know it we will be on plane that’s lifting off the ground, cabin pressure rises, Chelsea will nod off to sleep then…’

I snap back to the present. It’s not my last day; it’s Sara’s, I remember with sad, but proud sigh.

This morning Chels and I trundled down to Sara’s apartment. Our friends Princess and Becky were moving around the living space gathering and packing last minute things, as Sara organized and zipped up her book bag. Then they waited to leave.

It all seemed so surreal. The pattering of the persistent rain provided a picture perfect backdrop to this momentous occasion. One of our own was close of servicing. Our family, Guy 22, started as 35 and as of yesterday had 22. Now we’re down one more. She was a good one. She was my sister and a wonderful, wonderful friend. She, of course, is Sara.

Though it was not all of us who departed at morning-time, but it was a premonition, a marker of things to come. True, not every Guy 22er will depart these coming months, but most of us will need to say good-bye.

We volunteers are growing up; we’re moving on. I know we have not learned all we could from our service, but we have learned plenty to take back to our respective homes of record and enlighten our hometown communities. Or maybe some of us won’t return home just yet, but rather travel and gain more rich experiences to always carry with us.

Sara,
I will miss you. And I know you will succeed in all of your future endeavors. I wish you the best of the best of luck. And I thank you for being brave and blazing the trail for the rest of us.  I know we will be friends for a long, long, long time and I can’t wait to see you stateside, gurrrl!

In other news, Chels and I are doing well we’re still working steady on our projects and loving our community. These last few months are going to be a grand time. Happy Saturday!    

Last night we had Sara's co-workers over and, along with Princess, Becky, Chelsea, Cassie and myself,  ate classic Guyanese food and spent the night gaffing.

1 comment:

  1. Y'all are so sweet and the best!! Thanks for seeing me off, it's definitely weird but good to be home (in the USofA)!!! I can't wait for you guys to get home!! Stand strong and enjoy your last days in Guyana!
    Love You!!!!! XoXo

    ReplyDelete