Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Seasons





So I have this recent attraction to the changing of the seasons. Living in Southern California most of my life the seasons were kind of a side-note. Sure, it got colder in the winter, maybe pretty hot in the summer and just right in autumn and spring, but there wasn't any snow or sleet, perhaps there was some rain, but that was it. However, compared to the some of the USA the seasons could've been non-existent.

But now, after living in Guyana for year, it seems the seasons were glaringly apparent in SoCal.

A few days ago was the Spring Solstice. I forgot all about the 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime because there are only two seasons here: rainy and dry (well so they say, but like Chels I am skeptical.) Now I think it is suppose to be the dry season, but it's been raining for days at a time. Maybe Linden is an exception to the rule? Either way, the typical changes aren't so apparent, even to this SoCaller's limited awareness.

It's been a good week hanging with the new Trainees, cooking, and gaffing up a storm. The holiday on Monday was fun, even if I wasn't covered in powder, and thus far this week I've done development sessions and worked with the High Schoolers on study skills (ReQuest and SQ4R for my teaching buds). I may even get to go to the River areas next week where I've been dying to go since I got here. But I'll keep you updated.

But now Bob Marley is blaring, rum and cokes are calling , and Guyenese Tacos are ready to be consumed. Til next time.


Rasta Kitty Shot, we're taking to her to a fellow PCVs this Friday to watch while we head to the States. We love her soo much and will definitely miss her.
Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment